Getting the Alien Registration Card

Nope, we’re not aliens (:

The Alien Registration Card (ARC) is for foreigners staying in Korea for more than 90 days. It’s something like an identity card you would have in your country.

So how do you apply for it?

Basically you just have to go down to the immigration office nearest to your place of residence within 90 days of arrival in Korea. So if you’re living in Seoul, go down to the Seoul Immigration office. If you’re living in Incheon, go down to the Incheon Immigration Office.

List of Immgration Offices in Korea here

The documents you would need (if you’re holding a student visa):

  1. Certificate of Admission – the school would have sent it to you even before you arrive in Korea
  2. Certificate of Enrollment – you can only obtain it from your school after you start the school term in Korea
  3. Proof of Tuition Fee Payment/Proof of Scholarship receipt – you’ll have to get it from your administration office
  4. 1 passport sized photo – You can take it at the immigration office itself if you don’t have one already
  5. Application form – You can get it from the immigration office
  6. W10,000 application fee

Note that the staff at the immigration office don’t really speak English T_____T

Continue reading


Applying for a Student Visa (D-2)

If you’ve been accepted into the university of your choice, congratulations! The next step would be to apply for a student visa, the D-2 visa in this case if you’re pursuing your undergraduate studies. If you’re only going on exchange (for one semester) or a summer program, it’s not the D-2 visa you should be applying for in this case.

To apply for a student visa, you will have to go down to the Korean Embassy in your country. I’m not too sure about other countries, but for Singapore, these are the documents you will require:

1. Certificate of Admission from your school

This will be issued to you from your school by mail, as the original document is required. Please also remember to make a photocopy.

2. Your passport

This will be kept in their possession for the period of time they need to make the visa.

3. Statement of bank account for the past 3 months

Continue reading